Terminator Salvation (2009)

Awesome memories of Terminator 1,2, and 3……Terminated!!!

All grown up in post-apocalyptic 2018, John Connor (Christian Bale) must lead the resistance of humans against the increasingly dominating militaristic robots. But when Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington) appears, his existence confuses the mission as Connor tries to determine whether Wright has come from the future or the past — and whether he’s friend or foe.

So when I look at Terminator 1,2, and even the 3rd one, I just say “wow these movies rock, and totally introduced me to great sci-fi action”. Probably the first bad sign that this movie was going to blow was that it wasn’t directed by James Cameron, who did the original first two. And although he didn’t do the 3rd, it still looks fucking great compared to this junk. The movie was directed by some dude named McG. In all honesty, what the fuck!?!? Like there’s no normal name for you, you have to make a nick-name considering your only claim to fame was Charlie’s Angels. I guess it’s a good thing that Cameron didn’t get involved with this one probably because he had his sights set on something a lot, a lot, better.

The one semi good thing about this film is that the action, and the visuals look good. The problem is, is that they have made these terminators, so indestructible, that nothing, and I do repeat nothing, can destroy them. So the action scenes, are just repetitive, because these things never go away. It looks good, but after awhile I just start to think it’s a sci-fi remix of The Book of Eli look. And yes, I know Eli came out later, it just looks so the same, and Eli does better in my opinion.

The biggest bummer with this whole film is the fact that the whole story is slow as hell. The action starts off from the get-go, but we get the same story that we saw, just more sci-f, Skynet mumbo jumbo we don’t care about, and “John Connor” is probably mentioned about 1,000 times. The whole script just seems tired, bored, and doesn’t want to do anything new or inventive, just blow shit up.

Christian Bale is absolutely terrible in this film. He does that “Batman” deep throat mumble thing that annoys the crap out of me, and almost every five seconds he’s just yelling, or whispering, never talking. But his best performances was defiantly off-screen (haha I love this audio every time). Sam Worthington is at least watchable here, and brings a lot of emotion to his character, and it just sucks that he is the character I cared for more than the one who actually saves the world. Common’s in this. Why? Who cares, he doesn’t change anything in this movie. I also love how they just put the naked version of Arnold Schwarzenegger, luckily it wasn’t really him, or somebody would have defiantly lost some credit on the man-o meter.

Consensus: There may be some good visuals, and action, but overall Terminator Salvation, is a piss poor attempt to bring back a classic trilogy, while having no heart, and none of the energy the originals did.

3.5/10=SomeOleBullShitt!!!

19 responses to “Terminator Salvation (2009)

1. Daniel Pizarro August 14, 2010 at 8:28 am

Hey Mate,
    Great review! I completely agree with what you said. I can’t believe they spent over $200 million on this!

2. Fitz August 14, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I love how the film acted like Wright being a machine was a surprise. The trailer showed it! Dumb marketing guys.

3. Dan August 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Harsh…

I do agree with you about a lot of things but I did feel this was better than number 3. However, it still isn’t a very good film and nothing near the quality of the first two classics.

4. Peter Eramo Jr. August 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I am not a fan of 3 like you are. It just got worse here and Bale did not do much at all. They should stop now. Good points here – not much redeeming about this flick.

5. Franz Patrick August 17, 2010 at 4:23 am

It needed more Anton Yelchin.

6. Ross McG August 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm

yeah, when i came out of this i thought, its a 5 or 6 out of ten. but the more i thought about it, it really was just ‘some ol bullshit’. good review Dan the Man

7. Rodney August 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Wow, I didn’t think there was that much bile around about Terminator Salvation. Personally, I thought it was a great film by comparison to the third, and felt Bale and Worthington did a reasonable job taking on the job from Arnold. I think the main problem fanboys have is letting go of their insistence that a Terminator film without Arnie isn’t a Terminator film. The franchise needed to go in a new direction, a different one, and I think Salvation offered that. It may not have been the direction everyone wanted, but it did try and offer something new.
    side note: seriously, what was with that Indian looking check who popped up half way through the film. What the hell was she in the film for again? I can’t remember why she was there… apart from being female and looking good wet.

8. Marc August 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

This was a total waste of time. I think had this been just another movie about an apocalyptic future it probably would have been more than passable. The moment you throw the Terminator in there that automatically sets the standard for what it should and should not be.

The plot was weak I think we all can agree on that but let me get something straight. I can buy a certain amount of believability as far as Terminators and HKs go…but if you have a 4 story robot going around collecting humans (and somehow not crushing their bones either picking them up or dropping them 10 feet into a metal bib), how do you still have a problem with the resistance. Just mass produce them and forget the Terminators. Skynet would probably have the job done in a week and a half. And T-Bikes?? Whatever…Agree with the 3.5, although I still think that’s generous:P

• CMrok93 August 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm

It is very generous my friend. I had a good time with Worthington, and a few action scenes, and that’s it. But this damn plot just looked like a freakin’ Transformers rip-off man! It blew, that is for damn sure.

9. Reel Whore August 25, 2010 at 12:13 am

Yelchin was the best thing about the movie. Him, and seeing the Arnold terminator at the end. The rest is just like you said; one dull ass story.

10. Mystery Man March 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

damn, dude…tell us how you really feel…lol
    i’ll be watching this tonight (despite my hatred of anything that has Christina Bale in it). gotta finish the franchise

seriously, though, worthington is likable? WTF?!? that right there should tell me how bad this thing is…lol