Monsters, Inc. (2001)

No matter how old I get, this film will always have a safe place in my heart.

Pixar pitches another computer-animated classic with this family-friendly tale about the professional scarers of Monsters, Inc., who sneak into children’s bedrooms at night to elicit screams that they convert into energy to run their world. Life is fine for top scarer Sulley (John Goodman) and his assistant, Mike (Billy Crystal), until a little girl named Boo accidentally finds her way into the monster world — and into Sulley’s heart.

When I was a kid, I remember always watching this movie with my family, and everyone else. But for the most part, I haven’t seen this in quite some time, and this film still does not disappoint.

This is basically a G-rated film for the whole family. Anybody can watch it, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, grandparents, hell even babies can. The script is funny, like most Pixar film’s scripts are. There are plenty of little winks, and jokes centered at adults, but it’s not to the point as to where the kids won’t laugh. Sometimes you can catch both laughing, which is a great thing after all. The visuals are also very fun to watch because they move from one visual, to another and create a great sense of fun.

But the main reason why this film works so well, is because it’s message is so heart-warming when you think about, mainly because the way it plays out in this film. So many points in this film will make you go: “awwww”, but also many parts will have your children know it’s alright to be scared sometimes, but it’s always nice to laugh every once and awhile too. Great message for the whole family.

My only slight problem with this film is that it really isn’t perfect, but hell, not all films I expect to be perfect. Especially this one, considering they were just bouncing back from Toy Story 1, and 2.

Billy Crystal does a hilarious job at giving this little eye-ball, Mike Wazowski, a lot more personality than you would expect from this odd creature. He brings out plenty of one-liners, with his signature delivery, and brings plenty of laughter to the screen. John Goodman is also very good here as Sully, that shows the deepest voice, can create the most loved characters. You can tell that these two have great comedic timing, as all their jokes, may not be perfect, still work cause they can do comedy the right way. Jennifer Tilly shows up, and is pretty funny, as well as Steve Buscemi, Bonnie Hunt, and James Coburn.

May I add that the ending here is probably one of the most underrated, great endings of all-time. It fully brings out a lot of emtoion, and maybe some tears, if your lucky enough.

Consensus: Fun, heart-warming, and suitable for the whole family, Monsters, Inc. brings a lot to the table, and has you watching as this nice, family animation film stuns you.

9/10=Full Pricee!!!

19 responses to “Monsters, Inc. (2001)

1. Simon December 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm

i just watched some adverts for SKY and it seems john goodman is voicing the monster… a shamless parody of his role in MONSTERS INC. There is a sequel in the works though …good times.

2. Rodney December 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

My favourite part? The moment when Sully thinks Boo has been squashed by the compactor machine. Hilarious, touching and moving, all at the same time. Genius.

3. Stu December 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm

It’s been such a while since I watched this movie. I was just discussing the great potential for said sequel the other day…

4. rtm December 15, 2010 at 3:05 am

LOVE Mr Wazowski!!! He’s in my top 5 fave Pixar characters. His one eye is far more expressive than most characters with two :D

5. Mystery Man January 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm

such a shame that with that ending they’re going to make a sequel. it ends so perfectly, in my opinion. why are they making a sequel to everything but the one thing people want a sequel to, The Incredibles?!?

Sorry, for the mini-rant…just making an observation.

6. MeAllOverThePlace February 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

true, it really is one of the finest endings in a movie associated with Disney. You forgot to mention one of my favorite characters though: no. 1, aka the undercover snail. hilarious, loved the “outtakes” especially

7. Bluej February 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm

one of my favorite animated films of all time!

8. themovieblog8 August 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yes, it’s beautiful. Not Pixar’s best, but lovely all the same.

9. the Ink Slinger September 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

One of my all-time favs. Great review. :)

And thanks for dropping by to comment on my movie blog, Reel Quick. I appreciate it.

10. T0mo October 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

Loved Monsters Inc, this film rocked on so many levels, i really wanted them to make a second one but then would it be as good as the first? i doubt it.

11. Beer Movie June 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Cool review. I absolutely love this film. It is my favourite of Pixar’s (though I think that Wall-E is the ‘best’) and was the first film I ever purchased on DVD. Super excited for the prequel, even more so after the fun teaser trailer just released.