The Losers (2010)

The 14-year old boys definition of freakin’ awesome!

After learning that their handler, Max (Jason Patric), has set them up, a group of disavowed CIA operatives led by Clay — aka the Colonel (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) — bands together to bring down their betrayers in this slick action thriller.

This film is based off a graphic novel that I have never read, but from what this film makes it out to be, it’s a crazy read.

To say the least, this film has a lot of things blowing up, people getting shot, and materials being destroyed. The action here is pretty non-stop for the most part, and I must say I did not have a problem with this because it actually kept me entertained, despite being another loud and noisy action thriller.

I did think this film was actually funny at times, and I liked that because not many action comedies can actually be “funny”. The film is downright dumb, and proud of it which I liked because it’s not at all trying to hide it. They also tried to make some sort of story here, but that didn’t quite work, because the film wasn’t all that involved with the story as much as they were with the explosions and killing.

However, there were moments where I felt like this film tried too hard to be cool, and that really did annoy me after awhile because some gags just fell right on their ass. I can’t say that I’m totally against this, because not many other action comedies can be as funny as this one is, but they try too hard with the puns, and the random shootings and explosions that don’t really do much other than be a cool thing to watch.

The cast here is what makes this film a step above many action comedies as well. Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a good job here as Clay, and just proves he can be that leading tough guy we want in Hollywood. Jason Patric is pretty corny as our villain, but I think he was going for that here so I can’t really diss too much. I was glad to see that Zoe Saldana can fill those Angelina Jolie shoes, and not so much as Megan Fox like Hollywood was planning. You also have Columbus Short, Oscar Jaenada, Idris Elba, and the best out of the cast, Chris Evans who brings so much humor to this film that he was probably the best, and the one I’ll most likely remember.

Consensus: The Losers is loud, noisy, and all-over-the-place, but it doesn’t take itself too seriously, and it works if you’re looking just to have a good time watching everything in sight blow up.

6.5/10=Rental!!

13 responses to “The Losers (2010)

1. Ipodman March 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hmm… From your review I was expecting a much higher rating…haha.

Yea Chris Evans is really funny in this… :D

2. Steven Flores March 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I only saw a little bit of the film on TV so I can’t really say anything about it. Yet, the parts I did see were Chris Evans being really funny. He’s someone I like and even in those awful Fantastic Four movies, he was always the best part.

• CMrok93 March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

He is always such a funny guy in anything he does. Him and Ryan Reynolds are basically the same guys really.

• Ipodman March 24, 2011 at 12:43 am

Haha… you mean guys that are more than one superhero now?

I mean seriously, how many comic book movies have Chris Evans been in already… Fantastic Four and Losers obviously, but you also have Captain America, Push, Scott Pilgrim, TMNT and many others I’m sure I missed out. It’s insane :)

3. jarwatchesfilms March 26, 2011 at 12:08 am

Oh man, we disagreed wildly on this one! Also, you tagged Megan Fox but she’s not in the film unless I missed something.

i’ll put you up on my blogroll if you want to put me up on yours as well!

4. jarwatchesfilms March 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

ah, my bad. Ok, I got you up on my blogroll : ]

5. Marc March 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm

This was better than I thought it’d be. “Rental” is right but it’s a perfect popcorn movie and one that shows us comic book adaptations are always doomed to failure if it’s a property outside Marvel or DC’s A-list.

Having a laugh at it self and not being serious was the right move…although it’s probably that way in the comics too:P

• CMrok93 March 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

It’s a good way to spend a fun time with jokes and things blowing up left and right.

• Ipodman March 30, 2011 at 1:57 am

I won’t say anything outside Marvel or DC’s “A-list” is doomed for failure man… and being an “A-list” comic isn’t gonna get you anywhere as well if you mess it up! (Spider-man 3 *ahem* X-men 3 *ahem*)

• CMrok93 March 30, 2011 at 10:58 am

Well those two just had way too much going on. But I think it’s pretty safe to say that they both have a pretty fair fight going on.

6. Ipodman March 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Well… maybe… and that’s a tiny maybe… Iron Man isn’t really as popular as Spider-man or X-men, but that movie turned out pretty good…