Vanishing on 7th Street (2011)

I wonder if my night-light would save me.

No one can explain the mystery when residents of a vibrant urban center begin disappearing one by one. But it seems to have something to do with the shadowy figures they come into contact with right before they (Hayden Christensen, Thandie Newton, John Leguizamo) vanish.

Director Brad Anderson has made some pretty intense and creepy stuff which is why I was looking forward to this so much. However, it’s such a shame when you’re disappointed by something that seems like it could have worked so well.

Anderson does a good job here with his direction and uses a lot of silence to create this atmospheric mood where you don’t know what’s going on and how is this all happening and what the real mystery behind all these disappearances are. The first 40 minutes of this are strong and kept me interested, but then after that, it begins to fall down.

Nothing much really happens after these first 40 minutes because all we watch is them trying to conserve light and run away from the darkness, and that’s just about it. The scares are fairly cheap and while you watch the film, you can’t help but wonder just when this film is actually going to take off.

Another one of my problems is that the script feels nothing more than a genre exercise. There’s a lot of homages and ideas taken from the films of George A. Romero and John Carpenter, but none of it actually morphs into a full-length film. Also, far too many holes in what the darkness could and couldn’t do, where did the people disappear to, why did they disappear, why were these people left behind? These questions were ones that were always brought up but never answered and I kind of felt ripped off. I liked the vagueness f the horror within the film but the darkness had no real allegory to it, it was just the darkness and I kind left this film feeling what was the point?

Hayden Christensen is pretty crappy actor but he does OK here as Luke. I mean he didn’t make me sigh or laugh at his performance so I guess it was OK. Thandie Newton is good as the insanely sad Rosemary; John Leguizamo is always great in anything he does, and his performance as Paul is no different; and the debut role of Jacob Latimore as James is very good too. Still, when it came down to the film, these performances just felt like second-nature.

Consensus: Director Brad Anderson may be inspired with this direction, somehow the screen gets mixed up in its mumbo jumbo of questions unanswered, bad scares, and nothing really exciting happening which just makes Vanishing on 7th Street feel like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone.

4/10=SomeOleBullShitt!!

15 responses to “Vanishing on 7th Street (2011)

1. Dianna Rattanaray July 14, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I actually kind of liked the fact that there was no answer to exactly where the vanished went and the vagueness of it all. It kept me guessing for a little while. But I didn’t care for the ending though; didn’t really make sense to me and reminded me of the first episode of the show “The Walkiing Dead”

• CMrok93 July 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hahah I know what you mean by the ending but the mystery held me, but then I got nothing in return really. Just a pretty cheap way for a film to end.

• Marc July 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Agree, pretty cheap ending but you got it exactly right calling it an extended Twilight Zone episode. This would have been better and maybe more acceptable if it was part of something grander or something else entirely (read: Creepshow, Amazing Stories, Heavy Metal, etc).

There were times that this had potential but lost it several times probably due mainly to exposition. I would have liked any kind of explanation (even if it was ludicrous) as to why each day there was less and less sunshine and the batteries that could’t hold their charge. Sure dark forces at work, yadda, yadda but if they could suck the life out of a battery when the lights were on then why couldn’t they affect humans as easily? Should call this the Vanishing (of Potential) on 7th Street:P

2. sockela July 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

You give it more credit than I did… but job well done.

3. nothatwasacompliment July 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Total agreement on this one. Okay set up wasted on a bunch of boring characters and an ambiguous story.

I also hated the scene where they were in the basement worrying about the generator, and thus the lights, going out, when all the while they had a bazillion independent light sources just sitting in the bar upstairs.

Just not a very well thought out movie…

• CMrok93 July 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Didn’t think itself through too well and it showed because even as much as the story tried to stay interesting, I just didn’t really know what to think at the end.

4. Steven Flores July 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I like Brad Anderson but anything that has Hayden Christensen involved, except for “Shattered Glass”, makes me stay home.

5. Sam Fragoso July 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

This is on Netflix instant .. not going to watch it haha.

6. Candice Frederick July 15, 2011 at 12:04 am

i agree. this movie is horrendous. it made absolutely no sense and it showed such promise! i liked the cast…but that’s about it

7. fogsmoviereviews July 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

I had never even HEARD of this movie.