Despicable Me (2010)

Now I see why every kid is in love with this movie and those little yellow things too.

Villainous Gru (Steve Carell) lives up to his reputation as a despicable, deplorable and downright unlikable guy when he hatches a plan to steal the moon from the sky. But he has a tough time staying on task after three orphans land in his care. There’s also problems with another villain named Vector (Jason Segel)

With almost every animated film that’s been coming out lately, being incredibly amazing, this one seemed like it had a lot of potential. But really, it’s potential didn’t really go anywhere.

I know that this film wasn’t aiming for the 18-year old kind of potty-mouthed film critic but almost every single Pixar film that has come out within the past 3 years, has had me balling like a 5-year old, so why shouldn’t this either? The answer to that question is that this film is centered too much towards kids with no real jokes actually being as funny as they should be.

This is a pretty cool premise with a lot of gags that had me chuckling here and there, but ultimately the film goes for the “cute” laughs that will get the kids laughing more than the parents, which is alright but you really have to have some stuff for mommy and daddy. But the humor also seemed like it was trying too hard with these gags and the humor that it all had that “been there, done that” feel to it and ended up being some pretty predictable stuff.

The emotional aspect of this film isn’t terrible but at times it’s just way too in your face to really care for. I thought that Gru and Vector were going to be the meanest sons of bitches in the whole movie but there’s these side characters that are actually worse. There’s a woman who runs the orphanage telling these kids “they will never get adopted!”, and also puts them in these little cardboard boxes called “The Boxes of Shame”. There’s also a park carnie that is the biggest dick ever and just sticks it in these kids face that they didn’t win a fuzzy unicorn because they couldn’t knock down some stupid target. It’s annoying when these moments just hit you over the head with how emotional they want you to feel and it’s just downright annoying.

Probably what really kept me going for this film was the animation that looked very very good. I liked how all of these characters were all unique in their own look and how the constant colors just kept popping up everywhere, creating an even better film to look at. I saw this in the regular 2-D version but I have to say that if I did see it in 3-D it probably would have been awesome because of just how this film looks and all.

The cast here has a lot of heavy-hitters but nothing really amazing. Steve Carell is good as Gru with his European accent; Jason Segel is annoying as Vector; I didn’t even notice Russell Brand as Dr. Nefario; and Will Arnett does what he does with the Bank of Evil (formerly Lehman Brothers) loan officer, Mr. Perkins. There’s also some nice bit parts from the likes of Kristen Wiig, Julie Andrews, Miranda Cosgrove, Danny McBride, and Jemaine Clement to top off this whole cast. The problem here is that everybody’s fine I guess, they just aren’t given much and there’s nothing really all that funny about what each of these characters do and it’s kind of disappointing considering all the talent they have, I usually laugh at no matter what.

Consensus: Despicable Me has great-looking animation and some chuckles here and there, but overall it’s too centered towards kids, predictable by the end, and just an animated film that doesn’t do much else different than what we have already seen done before and better from far-superior Pixar films.

5/10=Rental!!

Also, if you want to check out what I said about Javier Bardem joining the cast of ‘Despicable Me 2‘, go on over to http://www.boomtron.com/2011/10/despicable-me-2-may-be-getting-some-oscar-talent/ and give me some love on back. Thanks everybody!

24 responses to “Despicable Me (2010)

1. greercn October 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

I liked “Despicable Me” but not nearly as much as “Megamind” which I aw at about the same time. There was lots for grown ups in that, but just as much hat the little kiddies seemed to love. And the drawing and effects – even by modern standards – are truly awesome. Do check it out as I think you will like it a lot.

2. Rodney Twelftree October 17, 2011 at 11:58 am

I agree with greercn above, I enjoyed Megamind a lot more than I did Despicable Me, even though DM was pretty decent as well. You did mention the nasty orphanage operator – I didn’t like that character at all, and I thought it added too mean a mean streak to the film overall… even though it did make Gru less despicable in the long run…..

• CMrok93 October 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

There was just too many mean characters in this whole film, and it didn’t really help that a lot of the kiddie stuff was kind of annoying as well. Still need to check Megamind out as well though. Thanks Rod!

3. Nostra October 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Was just as disappointed as you were, expected so much more. The yellow guys were very funny though!

4. Debbie October 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I was hoping for more grown-up jokes now and again also, but I think what we have here is a straight-up kids film. I mean, they deserve films aimed at them, too don’t they? :) What I think DESPICABLE ME was trying to do in terms of adults was to send a message to the non-involved daddies, the workaholics who don’t enough take time for their kiddies when they are young and as a result miss out on so much. Perhaps you don’t fall into that category and so missed that message. ;) But lots of kids have dads who act like they don’t care much for them and to them the film speaks volumes about trust and faith in adults coming through in the end. At least that’s my take.

• CMrok93 October 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

It’s a good kiddie film, but when it comes to people above the age of 10, it’s a little too hard to recommend for seeing right away. Thanks for your great points though Debbie!

5. colincarman October 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I disagree with Debbie and believe that DESPICABLE ME had no real social message. The bachelor grouch figure is fairly standard in literature and film: Eliot’s Silas Marner and Scrooge. Invariably, these proto-gay figures are redeemed by the supposed grandeur of children. MEGAMIND is unwatchably bad.

6. Steven Flores October 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I kinda like this movie. It’s quite silly and it’s got some nice action and humor. “It’s so fluffy!!!”. I much prefer “Megamind” which was the better movie.

7. fogsmoviereviews October 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Dan.

I think the ultimate compliment I can pay you is that I’m disappointed when you and I dont see eye to eye on a movie. I get that “Oh, I hope he liked it”… I know as a movie blogger, I love getting that compliment myself.

That said, I’m a big fan of this one. It worked for me in a big way.

Keep up the good work, man, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on this puppy.

• CMrok93 October 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Hahah that always will happen my man Dan. I get that with you a lot as well and don’t worry, I still think we’ll agree on some in the future. It’s all just a matter of time. Thanks man!

8. 3guys1movie October 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Nice review Dan. However, I think I liked this film a bit more than you did. Granted its no Toy Story, Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it. I think part of my enjoyment was that I could relate to the Gru character. How could I relate to an effeminate evil mastermind with a european accent? I think its due to haveing a three year-old watch the movie with me. I just think your perspective changes when your forced to take care of a little version of yourself. Causes you to be nice and smile alot where previously you spent your time getting drunk at pubs and looking for someone to punch in the face. I think that was the message at the heart of the film.

• CMrok93 October 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm

The heart at the center was there and I knew it, it just didn’t connect to me as well as it did for many others. Thanks for your point though! Appreciate it!

9. silentpal October 19, 2011 at 1:31 am

My kid keeps on watching this movie. It is really a villain turned hero epic haha. My favorite lines are “Your so fluffy, I wanna die” niyahhaa. Nice review

10. Ipodman October 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

I like this movie much more than you… I agree that sometimes the emotional things can be quite “in your face”, but I applaud the effort to inject some human emotion into the characters rather than just trying to do stupid things and make the children laugh.

11. scarletsp1der October 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I really liked this film…and, in contrast to those above, I really liked it SO MUCH more than Megamind! Megamind was boring, predictable, and…well, this review is not about Megamind. Back to Despicable Me.

Despicable Me was a lot of fun to watch. I tend to agree that, possibly, without the Minions, the movie wouldn’t have been as successful! Overall though, I truly enjoyed that movie as one of the BEST animated of 2010.

12. Jessica Reid October 20, 2011 at 12:28 am

I think the bar is set really high with animated films these days to be fair, I agree this wasn’t nearly as good as some animated films but still enjoyed it. Good review!

13. Diana aka Aziza October 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I usually don’t watch animation movies, but I did try this one, and I liked! Second time around, I saw it with my 4 year old nephew who loved it and he saw it another 5 times, at least! It was in english (not his native language), so he couldn’t really understand the story all the way, but there was something he liked! Better then Cars 2 anyway, in my opinion (yeah, I saw that one, too, with my nephew-things I do for family)

14. owlblogs October 28, 2011 at 2:27 am

Hey man, just got your comment on my blog and decided to return the favor! As for this film, I really enjoyed it – I am curious to see what the upcoming sequel has to offer, I sure hope the minions return! They stole the show in the first film!