My Predictions for the 2013 Oscars

Everybody, everybody, everybody!

It’s that time of the year again that we’ve all been waiting for. A whole year has been prepping for this and it’s finally come! The 2013 Oscars!

WOOOOO-HOOO!!

Since the Ceremony is tonight (let’s hope Seth MacFarlane doesn’t pull a James and Anne), here are my predictions on what could possibly happen, and a tiny-bit of my own thoughts because let’s face it: nobody is ever fully-pleased with the Academy Awards! That’s just the way the world works, people, but hey, enough of me, let’s get on with the predictions, shall we?

BEST PICTURE:

Will Win: Argo

Should Win: Django Unchained

Dark Horse: Lincoln

BEST ACTRESS:

Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence

Should Win: Jessica Chastain

Dark Horse: Emmanuelle Riva

BEST ACTOR:

Will Win: Daniel-Day Lewis

Should Win: Joaquin Phoenix

Dark Horse: Denzel Washington (nobody will ever beat DDL)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Will Win: Tommy Lee Jones

Should Win: Christoph Waltz

Dark Horse: Philip Seymour Hoffman

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Will Win: Anne Hathaway

Should Win: Anne Hathaway

Dark Horse: Amy Adams (like she’s gonna win)

BEST ANIMATED FILM:

Will Win: Wreck-it Ralph

Should Win: Wreck-it Ralph

Dark Horse: Brave

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT, BEST ANIMATED SHORT, BEST SHORT FILM (LIVE-ACTION):

I never had a chance to see any of these flicks. But I’m sure they are fine pieces of short-cinema, and hope somebody wins here.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

Will Win: Lincoln

Should Win: Lincoln

Dark Horse: Life of Pi

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

Will Win: “Skyfall”

Should Win: “Skyfall”

Dark Horse: “Everybody Needs a Best Friend” (the guy’s hosting, so why the hell not?!?)

BEST SOUND EDITING:

Will Win: Life of Pi

Should Win: Life of Pi

Dark Horse: Django Unchained

BEST SOUND MIXING:

Will Win: Life of Pi

Should Win: Life of Pi

Dark Horse: Skyfall

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

Will Win: Life of Pi

Should Win: Life of Pi

Dark Horse: Marvel’s The Avengers (would be pretty awesome)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Will Win: Lincoln

Should Win: Silver Linings Playbook

Dark Horse: Argo

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Will Win: Django Unchained

Should Win: Django Unchained

Dark Horse: Moonrise Kingdom

So, there ya have it, folks! Another year down, another year for the Oscar’s. Enjoy and have fun! Let’s hope that Big Ben pulls it out big in the end.

42 responses to “My Predictions for the 2013 Oscars

1. Lights Camera Reaction February 24, 2013 at 6:41 am

I’d say Amour is the dark horse with original screenplay. Good predictions though!

2. Keep It Reel Reviews February 24, 2013 at 6:52 am

Animated: Will Win: Wreck-It Ralph Should Win: ParaNorman

3. claratsi February 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

The who is DDL but the should for me is Denzel Washington. I absolutely love DDL and actually should have had another oscar for gangs of new york anyway, but the whole thing about a third best actor seems to be the thing that is really grabbing it and it looks decided. Now, i thought his performance was amazing but it was too method this time and Washington’s felt more organic and resonated with me more. He also conjured all manner of good and bad feelings towards the character. I haven’t seen the Master yet so cannot comment on Phoenix.

4. Prakash February 24, 2013 at 10:15 am

Nice predictions. Best Picture, I think, Lincoln will win. Argo has had enough wins at the other events, not this one though.

5. Chris February 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Honestly, I just really hope Argo doesn’t win best pic, but it’s been winning everything up to this point, which I’m finding baffling. Sure, the movie was good all purely on a technical level, and deserves its nomination as such, but to actually be winning this much? Damn, it wasn’t THAT good, lol! I’m personally pulling for a Lincoln win (funny how a lot of people seem to be hating on that one more and more the closer we get to the Oscars), but I’ll also be fine with Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, or Zero Dark Thirty.

• Louise February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Totally agree with your thoughts. I just don’t get the awards love for Argo. I loved the movie, but it was just an excellent regular type of film. Lincoln on the other hand is a beautiful movie with fantastic acting from top to bottom…I’m really hoping for a Lincoln win, but expect Hollywood to pat itself on the back and go with Argo. In a few years everyone will be lumping it in the “what were they thinking” win category with CRASH.

• CMrok93 February 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Argo’s a good movie, but nothing special like both of you have said. I honestly think Zero Dark Thirty would be the most realistic and best pick for them, but that seems to have all gone out the window by this point.

6. Haricharan February 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Interesting list and I like the fact you’ve picked top three contenders. I just wish the best films win :)

Here’s mine http://movieroundup.in/my-pick-of-probable-oscar-winners/

7. Fogs' Movie Reviews February 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Strong pics, Dan. I’m seeing it that way too, almost completely across the board.

I think you should have had Daniel Day Lewis in the “Should Win” slot, too though, even though Joaquin Phoenix was amazing.

8. mpwilson February 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m really pulling for Emmannuelle Riva for Best Actress.. she put in such a stunning performance in ‘Amour’, and she’s been picking up more buzz since winning the BAFTA.

9. The Storyboard. February 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Nice, agree with most of them, and like you I have favourites and realistic winners. However, I think Christoph Waltz will get best supporting actor (although I’d like Tommy Lee-Jones to). Mine are on http://www.thestoryboardfilmreviews.wordpress.com

Good predictions Dan!

10. Caroline Crow February 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Has Tommy Lee Jones ever won an Oscar?I think of him like Paul Newman – overlooked often. Love both of those actors.

11. Cirque Du Cinema February 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Reblogged this on Cirque Du Cinema and commented:
    Loving your ‘Dark Horse’ category Dan!

12. Erik February 24, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I still think Lincoln will win Best Picture. I hope I am wrong. :)

13. Pingback: Rorschach’s Oscar Winners Predictions | Rorschach Reviews

14. Rodney February 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm

My tip for the upset of the night: Skyfall to win Cinematography over Life Of Pi…..

15. Jon The Blogcentric February 25, 2013 at 7:19 am

I’ll admit your predictions were better than mine for the most part.

16. Dan February 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Great predictions Dan. I was pleased that DDL got another Best Actor award!

17. Foogos February 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I hope you put money on this. You nailed a lot of these.

18. Caroline Crow March 1, 2013 at 4:31 am

Oh,I totally disagree. (Rodney). The Fugitive was awesome. One way I (just a plain old movie goer ) judge a movie-how many times can I watch it? Do I always stop if it is one and I am flipping channels? I cannot even count how many times I have watched it. You may be innocent, but I don’t care:). Just my thoughts.

19. Kasha March 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

Wow! You kinda nailed these predictions. Well done!

Great blog, by the way. I’ll definitely be checking out your reviews from now on, Dan :)