2013 Oscar Predicitions

Here we go, everybody. The moment of truth has finally arisen and tonight, is the night.

IT’S OSCAR NIGHT BABY!!! WOO-HOO!!

Woah. Well, now that I’ve gotten all that out of my system, I’m pretty sure that most of you are waiting to hear/see what I have to say about the Oscars, which is why I am here today, with my predictions, and not some useless movie-review about some movie only five people will actually see.

But anyway, enough chatter from me, here’s my predictions of what I think will win, should win, and well, would be pretty awesome to win, if the world was perfect and everything was right with (also, if you want to see the full-list, check it out here):

Slave4BEST PICTURE:
WILL WIN: 12 Years a Slave
SHOULD WIN: 12 Years a Slave
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Her
IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO SHAKE THINGS UP: the Wolf of Wall Street

Blue1BEST ACTRESS:
WILL WIN: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
SHOULD WIN: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Amy Adams for American Hustle
IF THE OSCARS WANTED TO DO THE ANNUAL “SYMPATHY AWARD”: Judi Dench for Philomena

Dallas2BEST ACTOR:
WILL WIN: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
SHOULD WIN: Leonardo DiCaprio for the Wolf of Wall Street
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Leonardo DiCaprio for the Wolf of Wall Street
IF THE OSCARS WANTED TO FINALLY GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT HAS BEEN FUCKIN’ DUE FOR THE PAST DECADE: Leonardo DiCaprio for the Wolf of Wall Street (I’m sorry, but I’ll never rest soundly on that)

DallasBuyersClubBEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
WILL WIN: Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club
SHOULD WIN: Bradley Cooper for American Hustle
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Jonah Hill for the Wolf of Wall Street
IF THE OSCARS WANTED TO RUIN SOMEBODY’S ALREADY PROMISING CAREER: Barkhad Abdi for Captain Phillips

12YearsaSlaveBEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
WILL WIN: Lupita Nyong’o for 12 Years a Slave
SHOULD WIN: Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle
IN A PERFECT WORLD: June Squibb for Nebraska
IF THE OSCARS WANTED TO SHOW THAT LITERALLY ANYBODY CAN WIN: Sally Hawkins for Blue Jasmine

Frozen3BEST ANIMATED FILM:
WILL WIN: Frozen
SHOULD WIN: Frozen
IN A PERFECT WORLD: The Croods
IF THE OSCARS WANTED TO PROVE THAT POPULARITY MEANS DIDDLY-SQUAT: Ernest & Celine

DallasBuyersClubBEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:
WILL WIN: Dallas Buyers Club
SHOULD WIN: Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Now, my friends, how awesome would that be?)

Gravity3BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
WILL WIN: Gravity
SHOULD WIN: Gravity
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Prisoners (Roger Deakins above all, right?)

Gatsby3BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
WILL WIN: The Great Gatsby
SHOULD WIN: The Great Gatsby
IN A PERFECT WORLD: American Hustle

Alfonso CueronBEST DIRECTOR:
WILL WIN: Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
SHOULD WIN: Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Martin Scorsese for the Wolf of Wall Street
IF THEY WANTED TO GIVE IT TO A GUY WHO JUST SET A CAMERA DOWN EVERY SO OFTEN: Alexander Payne for Nebraska

Act3BEST DOCUMENTARY:
WILL WIN: The Act of Killing
SHOULD WIN: The Act of Killing
IN A PERFECT WORLD: The Square (more attention for Netflix, you know?)

American3BEST FILM EDITING:
WILL WIN: American Hustle
SHOULD WIN: American Hustle
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Captain Phillips (just to make-up for the fact that both Greengrass and Hanks were downright snubbed!)

TheGreatBeautyBEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
WILL WIN: The Great Beauty
SHOULD WIN: The Hunt
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Blue is the Warmest Color (who cares about all that submission mumbo-jumbo anyway?!?!)

WILL WIN: William Butler and Owen Pallett for Her
SHOULD WIN: William Butler and Owen Pallett for Her

U2 photographed by John WrightBEST ORIGINAL SONG:
WILL WIN: “Ordinary Love” by U2 from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
SHOULD WIN: “The Moon Song” by Karen O and Spike Jonze from Her
IN A PERFECT WORLD: “Please Mr. Kennedy” by Justin Timberlake, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver and various others from Inside Llewyn Davis (I’m still partitioning this and I’ll never stop!)

"One day, that planet will be all mine."BEST SOUND EDITING, MIXING, AND VISUAL EFFECTS:
WILL WIN: Gravity
SHOULD WIN: Gravity

Slave3BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
WILL WIN: 12 Years a Slave
SHOULD WIN: Before Midnight
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Before Midnight
DID I MENTION?: Before FUCKIN’ Midnight

American2BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
WILL WIN: American Hustle
SHOULD WIN: Her
IN A PERFECT WORLD: Her (come on, damn Academy members!)

Well everybody, there you have it! My predictions, thoughts and slight musings on the 86th Academy Awards, and to be honest, I think it’s going to be a good one this year. I have faith that Ellen will do a solid job hosting and I can only hope that we get more of these kinds of speeches, and not these kinds. Wishful thinking, I know, but I still hold out hope.

Enjoy the show, everyone!

21 responses to “2013 Oscar Predicitions

1. Brittani March 2, 2014 at 3:42 am

I am SO with you on Leo. I want him to win so badly. I feel like he’s pretty much owed one at this point.

2. Emily March 2, 2014 at 3:44 am

Actually Lol’d at the last part under “Best Actor”. I agree with most of these. It should prove to be a very interesting night! Nice list :)

3. Consumed by Film March 2, 2014 at 3:52 am

Great picks Dan! I’m with you on the Leo-gate. Give that boy a damn Oscar already!

Adam.

4. Mike D March 2, 2014 at 3:54 am

Hmm. The Croods. Can you explain yourself good buddy?

5. Jackie March 2, 2014 at 4:34 am

Lots of good points with plenty of laughs in between. The Oscars are so traditional that it seems to be up to bloggers to lighten the mood with their own embellishments.
    For the most part, I agree with all your predictions as I’ve picked them myself. With this being his 3rd nomination (unless I’m forgetting something other than The Aviator and Blood Diamond), it seems like its about time Leo got his due. At the same time, though, McConaughey has gotten so much praise for this role that I’m convinced this is his time.

The only thing I kinda disagree with was zero mention of “Let it go” anywhere in the original song category… but maybe that’s my gender bias talking. (That song freaking rocks and it doesn’t seem fair that U2 would win it just cuz they love Bono’s humanitarianism).

For the big categories, I picked American Hustle, J-Law, McConaughey, Jared Leto and Amy Adams… gave Gravity all of the technical awards and best director and of course “Frozen” for best animated picture (the only other film I wouldn’t mind winning in its place is Miyazaki’s latest).

6. Logan Burd March 2, 2014 at 5:00 am

Now that I’ve seen all 5 Best Actor contenders in their nominated roles, I have to say I think Leo had the worst performance of the 5. This is the strongest field of actors in years, and Leo did amazingly, but this isn’t his year unfortunately. I think Ejiofor deserves it, but I’d love to see Christian Bale win. Look out for my predictions tomorrow morning!

7. Tom March 2, 2014 at 6:41 am

Some solid picks Dan. I’ll always disagree on the American Hustle thing but it’s whatev’s. Glad others took more away from that than I did. And I’m right there with you about Original Screenplay; Her was just simply fantastic. Even if it doesn’t win, it’s a winner in my book!

Good stuff. Enjoy the show, too!!

8. The Hot Rod March 2, 2014 at 7:59 am

Damn, man, you got me with Bad Grandpa for makeup. That work on Knoxville is superb, really.. I think I picked the same in my own tips (article coming online in about 6 hours…)

And thanks for the chuckle, dude. Some funny stuff here!!!

9. mettelray March 2, 2014 at 8:20 am

I wish it were perfect world because Her.

10. stephen1001 March 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Nice mix of winners, even within each individual category!

11. jjames36 March 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Great predictions. I will personally be surprised if Her loses adapted screenplay, but maybe that’s just because I’m biased to like smart scripts that are based on character.

I will also say I am surprised how many of these predictions are picking against Jennifer Lawrence. I think all signs point to her being the obvious favorite for supporting female.

12. whitdenton98 March 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Nice list Dan. Surprisingly, a lot of my choices made it on here. I’d also like Her to win Best Picture. C’mon Academy!

13. Jordan March 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Brilliant list Dan! I’ve done a list on my blog too and our choices are quite similar!

Totally agree with Best Actor – praying it’s Leo!

14. Joseph@thecinemamonster March 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

In my perfect fucking world, “Wolf of Wall Street” would win everything it’s nominated for and “Inside Llewyn Davis” wouldn’t have been snubbed! Terrific pics, bud :).

15. CC At The Movies March 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Great post as usual Dan! Have fun watching the Oscars.

16. robbinsrealm March 2, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Great picks! I couldn’t agree with you more about DiCaprio.

17. Norma Beishir March 2, 2014 at 11:29 pm

The Croods??? I’ve never seen Frozen, so I’m not exactly rooting for it–but The Croods?

18. sidekickreviews March 2, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Let’s shake things up and let Wolf Of Wall Street snatch the best picture award! :) The Moon Song is fantastic, I hope it gets the award though I’m sure fans of Frozen have something else to say. :)

19. http://iwatch2014.wordpress.com March 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I know the top six catergories always get the fanfare but I am a Documentary Guy at heart and its always a catergory I feel ‘invested’ in who wins. I was SHOCKED that 20 Steps won- its a nice film but what Oppenheimer was able to get in Act of Killing is probably the most astounding admission of atrocities by the killers and then to have them regail in those memories like theyre talking about playing soccer in gradeschool was mind blowing. I like my documentaries edgy and thought provoking….im not against the fluffy fun ones but I do not see how each year the Oscar’s ALWAYS ALWAYS get this wrong.

20. Evan Crean March 11, 2014 at 3:21 am

Pretty good predictions Dan. You were right for a good portion of them. Sadly Act of Killing didn’t get any love and thankfully American Hustle got completely denied. I’m also glad Her didn’t take anything home either.