Advertisements

Top 10 of 2014

Well, ladies and germs, it’s that time of the year again! When we say “hello” to one year, we also have to say “goodbye” to another, as sad and as tears-inducing as it may be.

But 2014, in a nutshell, was a pretty solid year for movies.

Although I’m sure I broke more than a few hearts awhile back by announcing a rather tiny hiatus from this blog, for the most part, I tried my hardest to keep at it with all of the movies that were constantly being flung at me. And quite frankly, I’m happy for that. Not only was I treated to many fine pieces of film, but also, I got to focus more so on what was out there in some of the smaller, less-known theaters out there and shed some light on a few unknown indies that maybe only a handful of people actually knew of. Either way, it was a good year to be a fan of movies, and it made me feel like all my laziness paid-off in the end, as is often the case at the end of every year.

Now, with all that jabber out of the way, onto the real show:

10. Foxcatcher

FOXCATCHER

While it may not have been the most uplifting, enjoyable flick from the whole year, it definitely had some its best performances by far. Steve Carell and Channing Tatum were absolutely creepy and terrifying in every which way, showing us that there was more to their sometimes light, comedic-personas that we’d so often seen them utilize in the past. Mark Ruffalo was quite solid, too, but it was these two whom I walked away from feeling like there was a new, exciting chapter to be discovered next in their already respectable careers. Can’t wait to see how it all goes down.

9. Joe

Joe1

Sure, maybe I’m the only person to actually person to put this in their top ten, let alone remember by year’s end, but still, there’s a reason for that and it goes by two words: Nic fuckin’ Cage. Okay, three, but whatever! What I’m trying to say here is that having been a dedicated and unabashed fan of Cage for as long as I have, it was nice to finally see him get something worthy of his talents and to make matters even better, see him roll so well with it. The movie as a whole was very emotional and disturbing to the highest-level, but if anything, Joe stood as a solid reminder as to why, when he wants to, Nic Cage can be one of the most compelling screen-presences around. He just doesn’t do it as often as he should. Hopefully, that changes and we get more of this, and less of this. Although both options do serve some level of entertainment.

8. The Raid 2: Berandal

Raid2

After watching the first Raid, I thought it was downright impossible for it to be topped. Turns out, I was dead wrong! Not only is the Raid 2 a better action movie than the first, but it may be one of the best action movies of the past couple years or so. It delivers on every bit of action, blood, gore, and weaponry it seems to promise, and even seems to be one-upping itself constantly as it goes on. Truly a feat for any action movie, let alone one that had as good of a predecessor as the Raid: Redemption.

7. Like Father, Like Son

Father3

Here’s one that totally took me by surprise and wasn’t quite as easy to get through as I would have hoped for it to have been, however, the greatness of it is actually in that. Sometimes, there comes a movie where a character is so downright detestable, that you wonder why the hell there’s a movie revolving around them in the first place, if all they’re going to do is just make constant bad decisions and continue to piss the audience off. There’s that kind of character at the forefront in Like Father, Like Son, but it all feels honest, raw and realistic, so that when the plot does come full circle, it hits you like a ton of bricks and may even make you want to hug your nearest family-member. Most movies set out to do that, however, very few actually deliver on doing so. This is not one of those movies.

6. Inherent Vice

Inherent2

Sure, it’s maybe not everybody’s favorite movie of the year – better yet, it’s nowhere near being anybody’s favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie. However, all that said, it’s still a wild ride from beginning-to-end and always brings something interesting, compelling, and fun to the table. Whatever they all mean or add up to is sometimes left up in the air, but the adventure that Inherent Vice sets out to create, doesn’t need a clear resolution. All it needed was to allow everybody watching it to join in on the fun and see what the hell happens next.

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Galaxy3

Not just the best summer blockbuster of the year, but the best Marvel stand-alone since the first Iron Man. While it was hilarious at times, what made GOTG so unique and spectacular was that it had a handful of strange, totally out-of-this-world characters and made them as interesting as Tony Stark or Captain Rodgers ever were. You couldn’t even make the argument that having two mega-stars such as Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper voice characters and allowing for Batista, of all people, to play a character we actually see in life-like form was something of a gimmick, but man, it was one that worked like gangbusters whenever they were in the same room, talking, or blowing stuff up. Here’s to hoping that Marvel realizes that they’ve struck gold and stray away from making every other movie seem like the same.

4. Obvious Child

One of the “biggest-little surprises” I had the pleasure to see this year. While the plot may read like a terrible TV-sitcom that wouldn’t have even made it to pilot, the movie treats it as if it were like real-life, awkward warts and all. Because though it starts off like any other kind of comedy, a funny one at that, it surprisingly then turns into a lovely, emotional journey for a character who isn’t perfect, but still deserves some sort of love in her life, no matter what form it comes in. Speaking of said character, Jenny Slate is quite perfect in this role and totally shocked me as I had only known her as Jean Ralphio’s sister (or as “the girl who dropped the f-bomb on her first SNL skit“, but we like to forget about that). She nails every shade that this character has to offer and then some, making this whole film, as short as it may be, totally worth checking out and falling in love with.

3. Birdman

Birdman1

Not only does it feature possibly the best ensemble of the year, but also had one of the neatest, most compelling gimmicks of the whole entire year: It’s all one-shot. Or, that’s what it’s made out to seem like. Regardless, Birdman as a whole was incredibly well-done and continued to surprise its audience, whether it be through the aforementioned shooting-device, certain performances from people we don’t expect to see put in exceptional-work, or just the fact that someone like Alejandro González Iñárritu actually had a sense of humor. All of Birdman was chock full of surprises, but what mattered most, is that it constantly found new, original ways to tell its story and kept the ball rolling, no matter how many times a character’s life seemed to be too depressing. Because, honestly, that’s just Hollywood for ya.

2. Gone Girl

Gone3

Though I wasn’t initially expecting to put this one so high on the list, time served me right, and I realized that this was probably one of the more fun times I had at the movie theater this year. And without feeling guilty about being happy afterwards, either! So yeah, it was a win all around. Though many folks out there want to write this down as either a “pro-feminist” tale, or a “anti-woman” one, the fact remains – David Fincher owns just about every second of this movie. Not only is this a return to his old glory days where he seemed to have a good time directing whatever piece was in front of him, but he utilizes everybody at his disposal. Both Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck are perfectly cast here, but it’s the odd, rather bizarre supporting cast that really won me over. Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Fugit, Kim Dickens, Casey Wilson (yes, girl from Happy Endings), Emily Ratajkowski (yes, girl from Blurred Lines video), Carrie Coon, and even Tyler Perry, are among the supporters who excel so well in this movie and leave their stamp. And if you can make Tyler Perry not insufferable and seem like he’s actually talented, then you sir, always deserve gratitude in my book.

1. Boyhood

Boyhood1

I know it’s an obvious choice for the number one spot, but honestly, how could I not choose this? It’s literally been 12-years-in-the-making, meaning that I too, have been waiting nearly 12 years for this to come out. And even better is the fact that it not only lived up to all of the hype its risky decision brought up, but it was the kind of movie after my own heart. Some people I know have complained to me about how it doesn’t seem like much is even happening in this movie, but that’s where they’re wrong; it’s life that’s happening. Sometimes you never know that it’s occurring because honestly, you’re too busy living it. Richard Linklater, for the second year in a row, has wowed me to where I can’t believe he hasn’t won any sort of Oscar yet. Depending on how this year’s Oscar race seems to be looking, it looks like his time may finally come. But even if it doesn’t, we’ll always have Boyhood – a beautiful, honest and wondrous tale of just growing up, and all of the perks that come along with it. Gosh. I wish I wasn’t an old-head.

So yeah, folks, that’s pretty much it! Thanks a lot for sticking with me in this past year (I know it wasn’t easy), and here’s to hoping that 2015 brings us all much joy and happiness!

Oh, and some good movies, too.

Photo’s Credit to: IMDBColliderJobloComingSoon.net

Advertisements

35 responses to “Top 10 of 2014

1. Wendell January 18, 2015 at 5:25 am

Great picks. I’ve only seen a few of these: Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Raid 2, and I really enjoyed all of them. Looking forward to catching up with the rest of these.

2. Courtney Young January 18, 2015 at 6:03 am

Glad to see Inherent Vice make your top 10! I absolutely loved it! 😀

3. Niall McArdle January 18, 2015 at 6:38 am

so want to see Foxcatxher and Inherent Vice and Boyhood. Interesting list; I didn’t like Gone Girl as much as you did, and I must be turning into a curmudgeonly old windbag, as everybody else seems to like Guardians of the Galaxy, and I was left very underwhlemed by it, and I don’t know what others see in it.

4. polarbears16 January 18, 2015 at 9:17 am

Nice to see Gone Girl up there. Seems like a lot of people are forgetting about it in the awards rush around now, but I absolutely loved it.

5. crolins January 18, 2015 at 11:48 am

Glad to see some love for “Like Father, Like Son” !

6. billwhite1951 January 18, 2015 at 1:17 pm

i agree 2014 was a solid year for movies, one of the best of the century in fact. and you have some very unexpected picks here.

7. Mark Hobin January 18, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Definitely some overlaps in our list: http://fastfilmreviews.com/my-top-10-movies-for-2014/ LOVED Boyhood, Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Foxcatcher all made my Top 10 as well. Birdman just missed it but it could’ve been there.

8. Paskalis Damar AK January 18, 2015 at 1:45 pm

It’s great to see Joe and The Raid 2 on the list! But I can’t agree more with Boyhood on top of it (in the light I haven’t seen Birdman just yet). Gonna wrap my list soon.

9. Grog the Ginger January 18, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Great to see The Raid 2 and Gone Girl so high up! My favourites of the year.

10. Keith January 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Cheers for Boyhood. There seems to be this slight backlash against it that only appeared after the awards talk started. Thats a shame because it truly is a remarkable film. My #2 of the year. Great list!

11. Hunter January 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Nice list! Love to see Gone Girl and Birdman up so high (they currently occupy the same spots on my as yet unfinished list). I’ve never heard of Joe before but if Nic Cage is gracing a movie that is actually good with his presence, I really want to see it.

12. stephen1001 January 18, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Sadly haven’t seen any yet – thanks for the recommendations, Boyhood/Birdman are at the top of my to-see list!

13. ThoughtsFromTheBooth January 18, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Never even heard of like father like son. Ill check that out. Great list Dan.

14. Tim The Film Guy January 18, 2015 at 4:40 pm

So glad the Raid 2 is on your list 😀

15. Nostra January 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Some surprising choices. Haven’t heard of Like Father, Like Soon before, sound like an interesting one. From which country is it?

16. Reuben January 18, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Wonderful picks, Dan! While only your top two films made my top 10 as well, two others (Guardians and The Raid 2) made my honorable mentions list. I’m also really happy someone put LIKE FATHER LIKE SON on their top 10. Although I was only able to throw a quick shout-out to it on my piece, I’m happy this touching film is getting mentions.

17. killkenny16 January 18, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I, personally, felt like Boyhood got more credit than it deserved thanks to the “12-year” gimmick (I didn’t even have it on my list), but it’s a pretty great movie nonetheless.
    Great list as well! I never even heard of Like Father, Like Son before, and now, I’m slotting it near the top of my watchlist.

18. Eric @ The Warning Sign January 18, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Good stuff, Dan! Nice to see The Raid 2 crack your top ten.

19. Hypersonic55 January 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Great list man, wish I could have seen Birdman or Boyhood, too bad my local cinema wasn’t showing them. Hopefully I’ll catch them before the Oscars come around.

20. vinnieh January 18, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Nice choices, really want to see Birdman.

21. rileydueck January 18, 2015 at 10:31 pm

A Nick Cage film, The Raid 2, and no Grand Budapest???

22. rgagne January 19, 2015 at 9:06 am

I just saw Inherent Vice last Tuesday and I’m still trying to figure that movie out six days later. I respect your choices but that movie….I got nothing. Ha ha Great list and keep up the amazing work in 2015.

23. Zoë January 19, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Excellent picks here Dan! Still a few I need to catch off your list!

24. numb3r5s January 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I loved both The Raid 2 and Gone Girl, both are in my Top 5. I have yet to see Birdman, am hoping to see it in the next week or so.

25. whitdenton98 January 19, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Great list Dan! A lot of my own favorites on here (Inherent Vice, Boyhood, Birdman, Gone Girl). Here’s to another great year!

26. familymat1123 January 19, 2015 at 11:44 pm

The only one I saw (And liked) was Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie was awesome!

27. boxofficebuzzab January 20, 2015 at 3:01 am

Fun list! Guardians of the Galaxy was the highlight of the year for me.

28. Marshall January 20, 2015 at 5:03 am

But Tye Sheridan in “Joe” tho…

29. Russel DDK January 22, 2015 at 11:37 am

Great list! Beautiful and succinct explanation of your choices. Enjoyed reading them. Especially loved your inclusions of “GOTG”, “Gone Girl”, and “Raid 2” – they’re on my Top 10 list too.

30. Jim Turnbull January 22, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Great write-up man! Nice to see move love for The Raid 2. Still waiting for a few of your picks on this side of the pond – can’t wait for Inherent Vice – but missed Like Father, Like Son algoether! Will definitely be tracking it down.

31. Consumed by Film January 23, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Great list Dan, 2014 was a pretty good year for cinema.

Adam.

32. postunpopular February 4, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Huge Paul Thomas Anderson fan and I have to say, Inherent Vice is my favorite of his movies! Boogie nights and Magnolia rounding out my top 3! I definitely didn’t like Boyhood as much as you but agree totally that Birdman(probably my movie of the year), Guardians, and Gone girl would be at the top of my list! Great list, man! A few movies on here I haven’t watched that I’m interested to see!

33. harmonov February 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm

So glad to see Obvious Child here. I can’t believe that Jenny Slate wasn’t nominated for best actress. She would get my vote, which is a tough call since I LOVE Julianne Moore as she is so deserving of the award. Great inclusion with Like Father, Like Son. Koreeda is a master and completely underwatched in the US. Still Walking is so incredible.

Great list!